The Kansas Department of Agriculture’s Division of Water Resources reminds water right owners throughout the state that the deadline for filing water use reports is March 1. To aid in the reporting process, reports can now be filed online. K.S.A. 82a-732 requires the owner of a water right or permit to file a complete and accurate water use report.
To file online, go to to start the process of completing your report. You will use the PIN and personal ID found on the lower left-hand corner of the report form mailed to you in January. Instructions are provided throughout the filing process. If you prefer to file by mail, the completed report form must be postmarked by March 1.
Failing to submit your water use report may result in suspension of all water use under such water right or permit. If the water use report is not received by March 1, the landowner may be assessed a fine for up to $1,000 per water right or permit. Kansas water use data reporting is essential for management of the state’s water resources, to ensure the people of Kansas – and the officials responsible for managing or monitoring water resources – have access to information about how water is used and how much water is used.
For more information or assistance, please contact your local Division of Water Resources office, call the KDA-DWR Manhattan office at 785-564-6638, or visit
Original release Feb. 20, Kansas Department of Agriculture
Water Use Reports Due March 1