The Pork Checkoff recently hosted safety managers from 13 pig farms at a Safety Summit. Speakers addressed areas that impact pig production, including:
* Proposed changes to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standard 150, which establishes standards for fire and life safety in animal housing
* Pork production safety research
* On-farm disaster response
* Culture of training on farms
* An introduction to AgSafe
Summit attendees provided feedback on Pork Checkoff safety tools and resources, including the Safe Pig Handling and Safety Benchmark Database. Moving forward, the Checkoff will support regional, producer-led safety round tables. With guidance and oversight from a producer steering committee, the groups will meet regularly to discuss challenges and to share ideas to enhance pork production safety. For more about safety resources, visit pork.org or
call (800) 456-7675.