The National Pork Producers Council is pleased to announce the 2018 Lois Britt Memorial Pork Industry Scholarship, which is sponsored by CME Group and the National Pork Industry Foundation and is managed and administered by the National Pork Producers Council.
The scholarship program was introduced in 1990 by CME Group and NPPC to celebrate the 25th anniversary of CME Hog futures. The scholarship was renamed in 2006 to honor the passing of NPPC Board of Director Lois Britt. Britt, a lifetime supporter of agriculture, spent 34 years with the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service, finishing out her career for 15 years with Smithfield Hog Production doing Public and Government Relations. She was inducted into the NPPC Pork Industry Hall of Fame, the N.C. Pork Council Hall of Fame, and awarded the N.C. 4-H Lifetime Achievement Award as some of her many achievements.
Ten $2,500 scholarships are awarded to students annually who intend to pursue a career in the pork industry with hopes that they may emerge as pork industry leaders themselves someday.
To be eligible, applicants must:
1. Be an undergraduate student in a two-year swine program or four-year college of agriculture, and a U.S. citizen.
2. Write a brief letter indicating what role the applicant sees themselves playing in the pork industry after graduation.
3. Submit an essay of 750 words or less describing an issue the applicant sees confronting the pork industry today or in the future, including offering their solutions.
4. Obtain two letters of reference from current or former professors or industry professionals.
5. Prepare a cover sheet with the following information:
-Name of applicant
-Name of school
-Year in school
-Contact info (mailing address, telephone number & email)
Please submit the items listed above in a single envelope via mail OR e-mail to the address listed below. All entries must be postmarked by JANUARY 5, 2018 to be accepted.
National Pork Producers Council
ATTN: Lois Britt Memorial Pork Industry Scholarship
P.O. Box 10383
Des Moines, IA 50306-9960
E-mail Submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Essays will be judged on the basis of clarity and expression, persuasiveness, originality, and relevance of topic. Winners will be announced at the National Pork Industry Forum in Kansas City, MO Feb. 28-March 2, 2018. NPPC and CME Group reserve the right to publish any or all parts the essays submitted.
Please contact Cally Fix, NPPC Director of Industry Resource Development, with questions about the scholarship at (515)278-8012 or email@example.com.