USMEF invited decision-makers from the leading import companies in Mexico to participate in a hands-on training session – the Weber Grilling Experience. The activity, designed to demonstrate how various red meat cuts can be grilled at home, was funded by the Pork Checkoff.
“In addition to allowing them to learn about cooking U.S. pork and beef cuts and the positive attributes of the meat, it was an excellent relationship-building event that was conducted like a fun barbecue with family and friends,” said Gerardo Rodriguez, USMEF marketing director in the region. “It was also an excellent opportunity for USMEF to express our gratitude to these key companies for their loyalty and support. This is especially important now, with all the discussion around NAFTA. The decision-makers from these companies were encouraged to hear that USMEF and the industry are there to support their business – no matter what happens in these negotiations.”
- A Grill Academy at Carnes Selectas Ali facilities in Mexico City. This event attracted 50 people representing some of Carnes Ali´s best customers. Chef Manuel Ham from Weber taught participants how to prepare and grill skewers of pork loin, as well as Johnsonville sausages and baby back ribs.
- A Grill Academy in Puebla’s Sonata Town Center conducted in coordination with RYC Alimentos. Participants learned how to grill U.S. cuts such as pork loin and baby back ribs.
- A grilling workshop in Aguascalientes organized in coordination with Obrador San Pancho and Cárnicos San Francisco. About 40 restaurant owners, chefs and distributors in the region took part. Chef Paul Molina from Bears in the Kitchen taught participants how to cook “chistorra” (sausage) burgers with Mexican-style chimichurri, tenderloin with chicharron prensado sauce, grilled pork belly and pork ribeye.
- A hands-on Weber grilling seminar held in Mérida, Yucatán, for 30 consumers of Super Aki, a supermarket chain which has promoted U.S. pork with USMEF through interactive courses on grilling techniques.
- Christmas pork promotion tastings in 104 Walmart, 36 S-Mart, 39 Soriana, 20 Super Aki, 17 Ramos and 37 Costco stores.
- “Easy Grill” tastings in 14 HEB stores, where USMEF promoted U.S. pork through cooked products ready to be heated on the grill.
- A slow cooking promotion conducted in 23 HEB stores. The retail chain assisted with advertising through social media and demonstrations were given to customers on the proper use of electric pots and slow cookers.
Original article USMEF